Although traditionally served as a meat dish, a 3 bean chilli is a great option for getting plenty of goodness into your diet. It’s easy to make in a batch but how should you store this batch-cooked meal?
Can You Freeze 3 Bean Chilli?
Yes, you can freeze 3 bean chilli for up to 3 months. The best way to do this is to place the chilli freezer-safe rigid plastic containers before allowing them to cool. Once cool, seal the containers, and transfer them to the freezer.
Does 3 Bean Chilli Freeze Well? Yes
Can You Refreeze 3 Bean Chilli? Yes
How to Freeze 3 Bean Chilli
- Prepare Containers: Picking appropriate containers is essential since liquid-heavy things can expand by up to twenty percent in your freezer. Grab some containers that could contain one portion with a bit of headroom.
- Portion Out the Chilli: Simply place the chilli into the tubs. Make sure to avoid spilling the chilli around the rims, however, as that could lead to the tubs not sealing properly.
- Cool: Allowing the chilli to cool will enable you to reduce significantly the amount of condensation that might form. In turn, this will mean that you can reduce the amount of potential for bacterial growth.
- Seal: Sealing the containers is vital to make sure that there is no spillage in your freezer, as well as to make sure that there is no chance of the frost front getting to the food that’s within them.
- Freeze: Place the containers into the centre of the freezer, where the temperature will be pretty steady. This will ensure that the chilli will freeze at a stable temperature.
3 Tips for Freezing 3 Bean Chilli
Now you know how to freeze it, we’ve got our 3 top tips which we strongly recommend following when freezing 3 bean chilli to have the best results:
Check the Seal
Ensuring that the container you’re keeping the chilli in is sealed is vital, as it will prevent a messy spillage in your freezer that would be a nightmare to clean up.
We suggest a glass or ceramic material for the container if you can, as that will stain less easily than a container made from plastic.
Add More Spice
Over time in the freezer, the aromatic compounds that make herbs and spices flavorful will evaporate, making the flavours less intense. You might need to add more herbs and spices to ensure the final chilli is still enjoyable.
How Long Can You Freeze 3 Bean Chilli?
You can freeze 3 bean chilli for up to 3 months. The chilli can be frozen for longer than that, but, in that case, it will be safe to eat, but the quality will likely degrade quite intensely.
The texture will be the first thing to degrade, as the meat and beans lose their toothsomeness.
You can keep 3 bean chilli in the fridge for around 4 to 5 days when kept in an airtight container.
How Do You Defrost 3 Bean Chilli?
The best way to defrost 3-bean chilli is to place it in the microwave. Zap it in thirty-second increments at full power to ensure that the chilli gets heated through.
Ensure that the chilli is steaming throughout – if that’s the case, then the chilli is safe to eat.
If you don’t have a microwave, then you can defrost it in the fridge, overnight, before reheating it in a pan over a low heat.
Can You Refreeze 3 Bean Chilli?
Although it is possible to refreeze 3 bean chilli, you may find that the texture is ruined with repeating freezing. Instead, try to freeze it in individual portions to avoid the need to refreeze it in the first place.
Does 3 Bean Chilli Freeze Well?
Yes, 3 bean chilli does freeze well.
The reason for this is the same reason that all stews freeze well – the liquid takes the brunt of the freezer burn, ensuring that the solids remain in relatively great texture when thawed and reheated.
3 Bean Chilli Freezer Recipe
Making a 3 bean chilli is fairly simple. The clue is in the name. You need 3 types of beans and some chilli and you’re halfway to creating a delicious meal. Here’s our take:
If you’ve still got questions about freezing 3 bean chilli or chilli in general, then these may help:
Although it will freeze, the sour cream will have a strange texture once frozen. Instead, try to freeze the 3 bean chilli without any toppings like sour cream.
Got a Question? Find the Answer Below: