Roasting a whole cut of meat is something many of us enjoy. And the pairing of that with a range of delicious veggies and potatoes leads to a very tasty dinner. But it takes a lot of effort. So, is there a way to have a roast dinner ready whenever?
Can You Freeze Roast Dinner?
Yes, you can freeze roast dinner for up to 3 months. The best way to do this is to separate the elements. Add the veggies to a freezer bag, add the potatoes to another bag, remove excess air, and freeze. Then freeze the meat on a baking tray.
Does Roast Dinner Freeze Well? Yes
Can You Refreeze Roast Dinner? No
How to Freeze Roast Dinner
Freezing roast dinner is complex since there are so many different parts. To ensure it all goes well, follow these instructions:
- Cool: Making sure that everything in your roast dinner is cooled is the best way to ensure that there will be no condensation throughout the containers you’re using. That will make sure that there is as little bacterial growth as possible.
- Bag Up the Veggies: Move all the vegetables you’ve cooked to go with a great roast dinner into a freezer bag. Once they’re there, press excess air out of the bag, seal it, and freeze the veggies. You can freeze all the vegetables (besides the potatoes) together.
- Bag Up the Potatoes: Place the potatoes into a freezer bag as efficiently as possible before removing excess air. When the air has been removed, seal the bag up.
- Freeze the Meat: Flash-freezing the meat might seem strange, and it would be for raw meat. Since this meat is cooked, though, it’s perfectly sensible. Spread it out on a lined baking tray and freeze for 1 hour.
- Wrap the Meat: Wrapping the roasted meat in a layer of baking paper will ensure that it has a little ability to ‘breathe’ within your freezer.
- Wrap the Meat Again: Wrapping the meat in cling film next means that the meat will retain its moisture within the film.
- Freeze Everything: Placing the whole parcel of meat (as well as the packaged veggies and potatoes) in your freezer is the final step.
3 Tips for Freezing Roast Dinner
Now you know how to freeze it, we’ve got our 3 top tips which we strongly recommend following when freezing roast dinner to have the best results:
If you try to freeze the food that you’re working with as though it’s raw, then you’re going to damage the final consistency of the food. Avoid this by remembering that cooked food is typically more tender so be gentle.
Freeze the Parts Individually
Although you could pack the whole dinner into a container, seal and freeze, keeping the items individual gives you more scope in future and makes it easier to reheat each element properly.
Don’t Pack It Too Tightly
Packing items too tightly can result in food items freezing together. To avoid this, we recommend not stacking food items with flat surfaces facing one another.
How Long Can You Freeze Roast Dinner?
You can freeze a roast dinner for around 3 months before the texture degrades noticeably. The first thing that will degrade will be the meat. It will become dry and tough once reheated.
You can actually freeze the potato and vegetables elements for up to 6 months.
A cooked and cooled roast dinner can be kept on a plate covered with a sheet of cling film in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How Do You Defrost Roast Dinner?
The simplest way to defrost roast dinner is to use the microwave. Assemble a plate of frozen items, and then use your microwave to thaw them.
Zap them on full power in increments of 30 seconds until the food is steaming all the way through.
Can You Refreeze Roast Dinner?
No, you cannot refreeze a whole roast dinner. The reason for this is that the roast dinner contains meat, which can never be thawed and refrozen.
Does Roast Dinner Freeze Well?
Yes, roast dinner does freeze well.
The reason for this is that the protein and starch aspects of the food item are resilient to freezer damage, leading to them forming great thawed food when you come to cook them.
If you’ve still got questions about freezing roast dinner or roasts in general, then these may help:
Yes, gravy can be frozen for around 4 to 5 months. Decant the gravy into freezer-safe containers and freeze it in portions.
Although it is possible to freeze a whole, assembled plate of roast dinner, it can be challenging to do so. Instead, try to freeze each element individually in bags.
Got a Question? Find the Answer Below: