Capri Sun is a popular children’s drink that comes in a pouch and in multiple flavours. Given they come in pouches, they are great for packing into picnic boxes or in lunchboxes.
It is an extremely popular drink that can be bought in bulk. Although your kids may be begging for Capri Suns all the time, you may want to find an effective way to store them and make them last longer.
Can You Freeze Capri Sun?
Yes, you can freeze Capri Sun for months and months. Not only will it make a delicious cooling drink, but frozen Capri Suns can also make great ice packs for keeping other food cool when on a picnic.
Does Capri Sun Freeze Well? Yes
Can You Refreeze Capri Sun? Yes
How to Freeze Capri Sun
There really is no complicated way to freeze Capri Suns, though you can experiment with different ways depending on what you would like to make. Here are just a few suggestions you could try to freeze your Capri Sun:
How to Freeze Capri Suns in the Pouch
This is the most basic method for freezing Capri Sun and actually one of the best ways to freeze it:
- Separate Out Pouches: Select the pouches that you would like to freeze and detach them from one another as they’ll often come stuck together in pairs.
- Freeze: Simply place the pouches into the freezer and leave for at least 6 hours.
It really is just that simple! The pocket of air that is already within the pouch will allow the liquid to expand as it freezes.
How to Freeze Capri Suns Into Ice Cubes
If you only want to freeze smaller portions of Capri Sun (or simply want Capri Sun flavoured ice cubes to pop into orange juice) then this is the method to use:
- Pour Out Capri Sun: It is much easier to decant your Capri Suns into a large jug if you’re then going to pour them into ice cube trays.
- Fill the Tray: Pour out your drink into the ice cube tray, filling each cube just to the brim.
- Freeze: Place the ice cube tray into the freezer, being sure to keep it flat and stable.
- Bag Up If Needed: If you want to, you can then pop out the frozen cubes and place them into a ziplock bag. Alternatively, you can just keep them in the ice cube tray.
How to Freeze Capri Sun Into Ice Lollies
Of course, you could really treat yourself by making ice lollies out of Capri Sun using this method:
- Pour Out Capri Suns: Again, it is much easier to decant your Capri Suns into a large jug if you’re then going to pour it into any type of mould
- Fill Moulds: Make sure your ice lolly moulds are on a stable service and pour in the Capri Sun juice, leaving a small gap at the top.
- Freeze: Place the moulds into the freezer, keeping them flat so that they don’t spill.
3 Tips for Freezing Capri Sun
Now you know how to freeze it, we’ve got our 3 top tips which we strongly recommend following when freezing Capri Sun to have the best results:
Choose the Flavour Wisely
Some of the Capri Sun flavours don’t freeze as well and may turn out to be more of a slushie texture.
Use as Ice Packs
Freezing Capri Suns can be a great way for them to act as ice packs in a lunchbox.
Do Not Open the Pouches
If you are freezing the Capri Suns in their original pouches, do not poke the straw through the hole before freezing as this will release the air inside, leaving less room for the drink to expand.
How Long Can You Freeze Capri Sun?
Capri Suns can be stored for a long time in the freezer, almost indefinitely. Make a note of the date you freeze them and of the best before date on the bottom of each pouch. It is advised to not go beyond this date.
How Do You Defrost Capri Sun?
If you have frozen the Capri Suns in their original pouches, you can take them straight out of the freezer and either let them defrost at room temperature or in the fridge.
If you plan on keeping your Capri Suns as cold as possible, then the fridge is the best option for defrosting.
If you have frozen your Capri Suns as ice cubes, you can simply take these out of the freezer and add them straight to a glass and allow them to defrost.
If you have an ice lolly Capri Sun, you don’t want it to defrost! Just remove it from the mould and enjoy it straight away!
Can You Refreeze Capri Sun?
Theoretically, yes you can refreeze Capri Suns, though it is best to do this if they have been in pouches and are still unopened.
If you have frozen the Capri Suns as ice cubes, refreezing them after thawing may result in the Capri Suns being more watery or slushie-like.
Does Capri Sun Freeze Well?
Absolutely! Capri Suns freeze very well and are a very convenient drink to just have in the freezer for those hot days when you or your children need something refreshing.
They can act as ice packs as well, making them great for family picnics or a lunchbox staple. They also last a very long time, so a good option if you have bought them in bulk!
If you’ve still got questions about freezing Capri Sun or juice in general, then these may help:
Capri Suns tend to have a little bit of air in them which is what the liquid will expand into. Fortunately, Capri Suns are highly unlikely to explode when frozen.
Yes! Juice boxes can be frozen and will turn your favourite juice into a slushie-like treat. They will also work really work at keeping your lunch boxes and picnics cool as an ice pack would.
Got a Question? Find the Answer Below: