If you want a snack but don’t want the calories you get in a packet of crisps try kale crisps. They taste much better than they sound, especially if you drizzle them with a little oil and season them with salt. They are so tasty it can be tempting to make them in advance.
Can You Freeze Kale Chips?
No, you cannot freeze kale chips. They lose all their crispness and become unpleasant. Not the delicious crispy treat you were looking forward to. Instead of freezing them, you should cook them freshly whenever you fancy a healthy treat.
Do Kale Chips Freeze Well? No
Can You Refreeze Kale Chips? No
How to Freeze Kale Chips
Unfortunately, kale chips cannot be frozen. They lose all of their crispiness which is the reason you made them in the first place! You can’t even store them in the fridge. These are a type of food that needs to be eaten fresh as much as possible.
You can get away with storing them briefly for a day or two (not in the freezer, of course) but that is about as long as you can keep them before they go soggy. To store them for a couple of days, follow this method.
- Cook: Cook your kale chips in the oven. Kale chips don’t take long to cook and after a few minutes, you can take them back out of the oven and pop them onto the kitchen counter to cool.
- Cool: To store the kale chips, firstly, you need to allow the kale chips to cool completely. You want them to be completely cooled down with no heat left in them before continuing.
- Place Into Containers: Transfer them from the baking tray into a container with an airtight lid. Most Tupperware containers will work but you do need to ensure that the lid provides an airtight seal. Any air that gets to the kale chips will add moisture and this is what makes them soggy.
- Seal: Pop the lid on and make sure it is sealed tightly.
- Store for 2 Days: Keep the kale chips at room temperature for a day or two. Store them on your kitchen counter or in a cupboard. Don’t try and put them into the fridge. This will ruin them.
If you don’t have an airtight container, then you could try using a freezer bag instead. Pop the kale chips into the bag and squeeze out as much air as you can.
Then seal tightly. If you have a clip for the bag, then add this to it as well to be extra safe that the kale chips don’t lose any of their delicious crispy texture.
How Long Can You Freeze Kale Chips?
Unfortunately, you can’t freeze kale chips at all.
You can store them for up to two days in an airtight container at room temperature. Even putting kale chips in the fridge would ruin them!
Putting kale chips in the fridge is not a good idea. Instead, once cool, pop them into an airtight container for 2 to 3 days and keep them at room temperature.
Do Kale Chips Freeze Well?
Kale chips do not freeze well at all.
Whilst in theory you can freeze kale just fine if you are specifically looking for crispy kale chips to eat as a healthy alternative to chips or other unhealthy snacks then putting them in the fridge or freezer will ruin them.
If you did try to freeze kale chips you would find they immediately absorb moisture and when it comes to defrosting and eating them you would find them soggy and unpleasant.
Instead of trying to freeze them, use the method outlined in this article for storing kale chips for a few days.
If you’ve still got questions about freezing kale chips or kale in general, then these may help:
The best way to store kale chips and to stop them from going soggy is to place them in a paper bag. The paper will act as a moisture sponge, absorbing any excess moisture from the kale chips, which is what turns them soggy.
It is possible to make kale chips with frozen kale, but you’ll need to defrost and then thoroughly drain the kale before making them.
Got a Question? Find the Answer Below: